Injuries & Reporting

An injury is any wound or damage to the body resulting from an event in the work environment.
An illness is a state of poor health. This applies to all faculty, staff, and students.

Examples include:

  • Cuts
  • Abrasions
  • Fracture
  • Burns
  • Sprains
  • Heat stroke
  • Frostbite


  • For serious accidents such as loss of consciousness or trauma, call 911 to have the individual transported to the nearest Emergency Department
  • For all other accidents involving University Employees, refer them to UM Hospital, 1500 E. Medical Center Drive, 998-8788
  • For all other accidents involving students, refer them to Health Services, 207 Fletcher, 763-4511
  • Accidents occurring after hours should be referred to the UMHS Emergency Room

All accidents involving faculty, staff, students or visitors must be investigated.

  1. Follow the above procedures for contacting the appropriate medical help for the illness or injury
  2. File a CoE Safety Safety Incident Report as soon as possible CoE Safety Incident Report Form
    • Note: Reports to the CoE are automatically forwarded to EHS.
  3. File a report with Work Connections
  4. File appropriate EHS form; Report incident or near miss to EHS